Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas carols & songs

Love em or hate em?

I LOVE them! Christmas music starts day after American Thanksgiving for me - if I can hold out that long! I buy myself one new Christmas album a year (thats a CD for you youngin), have the disc player pre-loaded, the all-Christmas music channel on the Radio in the Jeep and on the TV.

And before you ask - no I don't get tired of hearing the same songs over and over! In addition to all the classics - there are so many interesting re-makes of the old stuff and some really good new Christmas music every year.

It's fascinating to me to hear the true Christmas story sung by people of all faiths (and of no faith). It's also cheering to hear of bells, and choirs and reindeer, and white snow and "bending Santa's ear" - how fun!

It's the time of year when its totally acceptable to enjoy Elvis and Karen Carpenter and Dolly Parton; to groove along with Ella and Ertha Kit and Ray Charles and the Vince Guaraldi Trio (Charlie Brown Christmas); to croone right along with Bing and Rosemary Clooney and yes, even Harry Conick Jr; to tear up with Handel's Messiah, O Holy Night and Silent Night. Its all good. Really.

Now you - the cynic - run to your radio, CD player, I-pod, phonograph, or whatever floats your boat, and put on some Christmas music already!

4 comments:

annaliese said...

I LOVE them, too!!! the only Christmas music that I am actually ready to kick out of the house is this little carrousel decor that plays the same 10 songs over and over in a high, ringing bell tone. that I could do without by the 2nd hour it was on.

StefRobrts said...

I love Christmas music too, especially the old classics, like the Chestnuts roasting one, or Winter Wonderland. One thing I cannot tolerate is that 'All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth' - ugh! For a more modern favorite, enjoy a little taste of Christmas from the trailer park http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QncZR1ZEok

Goofiernu said...

I've been flipping back and forth between "regular" music and Christmas music. I can't take it ALL the time. :)

snazzykc said...

I just bought this great CD by Go Fish-more than a story. It is an acapella christmas album-great!