Sunday, April 21, 2013

Homemade laundry detergent

I've been inspired lately to create non-toxic, environmentally and wallet friendly versions of some of my everyday house-hold cleaners.  They are inexpensive, work just as well (if not better!) than store bought versions - and I know exactly what goes into them!

Here is the recipe I used to make homemade Laundry detergent:
1 4lb box of BORAX
1 3lb box of Washing Soda
1 1lb box of baking soda
3 bar Ivory soap (finely grated) not pictured
1 lb Oxy clean (optional) not pictured
10-25 drops essential oils (about 1/2 teas)

Use a BIG tub or container with a lid.  Grate soap.  I used my food processor to grind this up nice and fine. mix in all dry ingredients. I added lavender, orange and rose essential oils - smells SO good.  Mix very well!!

Use one small scoop (about 2-3 TBS) per load.

UPDATE:  I have a couple of reviews about this soap.  Firstly, this does an excellent job on towels, linens and whites.  Everything came out very bright and fresh. It only takes a small scoop to be very effective and I can tell this will last a long time!


On a slightly less positive note - the essential oils I used to scent this have faded since I made it.  I'm bummed about this - because now the predominant scent is the Ivory soap I used.  Now don't get me wrong - Ivory soap smells just fine. But I wanted this to smell of roses and lavender.  I have read on-line that some ladies scent their with a Scenty bath product and others choose a more scented soap.  I'm sure either of those would work fine - but I wanted to remain true to the simplicity of the original recipe. I suppose I could add more oils - but for now I'm going to leave it as is and decide if I still like it :)

If You try making your own detergent I'd love to hear how it goes!

No comments: