Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Borscht

On Saturday Nathaniel and I visited the Farmers Market and I picked up and bunch of beets - which are in season and gorgeous right now!  A couple of nights ago we had steamed beet greens (yum) and today I decided to make borscht (beet soup)

This is traditionally made with beef but I decided to try a vegetarian version.  This is not a traditional recipe but rather a combination of what tasted good to me and what I had in the house.  The result was a creamy, fulfilling, sweet tasting soup with lots of body and a gorgeous bright burgundy colour.  Enjoy!!

Dorinda's Borscht:
1 tbs olive oil
4 large Beets peeled & chopped
1 onion diced
2 large carrots coined
1 pkg, shredded cabbage
3 small potatoes diced

1 teas. minced garlic
4 cups water
1 envelope dry onion soup mix

2 tbs. course salt
1 teas dill
1/2 teas cayenne pepper
2 cans sliced beets (with the juice)
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup fat free cream


Sauté the onions, cabbage & carrots until soft (about 7mins).  Add beets, tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, spices and water.  Bring to a boil and then keep at a low boil for at least 20min.  Turn stove down to low and simmer 1-2hr or until you are ready to eat!  At this time I used my immersion blender to blend the soup to a creamy  thick texture.  You may choose to leave your soup chunky if that is what you prefer.  About half and hour before serving mix in the cream. Salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: