Sunday, March 1, 2009

Old fashioned doughnuts!

This is a very old recipe that I got from my mom. I dont know where it originates but she was making these for us kids at least 35 yrs ago. I have made these with my kids are they are super easy and fun. Make sure a parent does the frying and have plenty of paper towels on hand for draining. Sorry I dont have a picture to go with these - they look more like dumplings than doughnuts.

Easy-Do Doughnuts
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
2 Tbsp oil
1 1/2 cups flour (I use 1 cup white, half a cup whole wheat)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teas salt
pinch nutmeg if desired


Blend sugar, egg, milk and oil. Add dry ingredients. Drop into hot oil (on stovetop vegetable or Canola is best) by rounded teaspoons. Turn partway through. Drain, cool slightly and roll in cinnamon sugar. Or cool slightly further and roll in powdered sugar.

SUPER good and easy. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Angela said...

sounds good Dorin. I'll have to try it when I'm feeling better. I tried to make elephant ears once by using pillsbury biscuits and flattening them with the kiddos at school but they were still too thick. i always wanted to try my hand at doughnuts. can't be harder than eclairs.. pate choux dough is tough!

Mer said...

I've not made donuts yet, but intend to at some point. I will keep this recipe in mind. :)