Thursday, November 6, 2008

okay now that I'm a blogger . . .

So my brother Ken asked me how I was enjoying being a blogger. I wasn't sure what to tell him so I thought I'd just blog about it instead! (so Ken here is your answer) I'm still really new to the blogging world and also never having kept a journal (except one in grade nine devoted entirely to a boy named Luke) I've discovered a few things.

Bloggers are all the same. Bloggers are all completely different. Deep huh? I'll expound:

Every blogger writes because at some level they love to put things down on paper. For me I wasn't much of a writer - unless you count lists. I love to make lists. I make lists on just about everything. I suppose if you gathered all my lists up they would make their own kind of journal. At any rate all bloggers are the same in that they are writers - at least to some extent they think on paper.

Every blogger is completely different. Some, like my aforementioned brother Ken, are deep and insightful while remaining humorous and relate-able (I think its a occupational coincidence). Or like my friend Dana, who is an excellent writer, who has something to 'say' that is thought-provoking and thoughtful in each of her posts. (both of their blogs are linked here on my page - by the way and I highly recommend them!) Some bloggers give daily accounts - today I bought milk, heres what my bathroom looks like with the new paint, I dyed my hair etc . . .

Most often though it a mix. A mix between those semi sermon-istic posts that make us think and ponder life and salvation and those fun posts about everyday life that chronicle our little ups and downs. At first I felt the pressure to have a point of view, my view of life, God and what makes us tick. Or worse to be able to provide cute little incidentals - the 'here's what I did today' blogs (so much harder for me!)

In the end though I think I will strive for a bit of both. One day I may feel like pondering grace, or motherhood, or assurance of salvation. One day I may feel like relaying some little inconsequential incident. And that's okay. Because blogging is really just that. Writing it all down, getting it on 'paper' and letting the world do with it what it may. So in answer to my brothers question. Yes, I think I like it.

3 comments:

Goofiernu said...

Doing both is okay! Some days you wanna get stuff off your chest and other days you just wanna post pictures of pretty flowers. :) And that's just fine! What's important is that you post SOMETHING so that others can see who you are.
Love you!

Unknown said...

Don't sell yourself short as a writer sis ... some of that "death poetry" you wrote as a teenager was pretty funny! (But this kind of attention for your writing is probably healthier)

annaliese said...

yup. that's blogging. just writing--to make a point and to not. ---to just connect in a way to a really big pool of people that we may or may not know in 'real life'--to reassure ourselves that even our day to day is worth a few words here and there.