Monday, November 24, 2008

Martial Arts






Martial Arts was suggested to us by one of Nathaniel's doctors as an effective treatment of Anxiety, Depression and PTSD. (our poor baby!)

My sister had a good experience with TaeKwonDo and Eric's sister is a Black Belt in Kung Foo. I was a bit sceptical at first but I figured if Thaniel learned some discipline and self-defence then I was all for it. I was expecting it to be like other kid's sports a bit of fun and exercise a couple of times a week. How wrong I was - TaeKwonDo is really a lifestyle - and one that meshes well with our families beliefs and convictions.




Here are the "Family Rules" that all TaeKwondo participants are encouraged to live by:
1) Be obedient to my Parents
2) Be repsectful to my Parents
3) Be faithful to my Spouse
4) Be respectful to my Brothers and Sisters
5) Be faithful to my Friends

We have seen amazing gains in Thaniel's confidence, self assurance, and obedience. For that we are truly grateful and excited. He has just completed his ORANGE belt test and has hopes to go on to his Black belt. And while we realize that martial arts is not a replacement for God and Faith it does walk hand in hand with some other family rules we have:

"So whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them; for this is the Law and the prophets." (Matthew 7:12 RSV)

"Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For the measure you give will be the measure you get back." (Luke 6:36-38 RSV)

"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. (Exodus 20:12)

"The Commandments, "You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not covet," and any other commandment, are summed up in this sentence, "You shall love your neighbour as yourself." Love does no wrong to a neighbour; therefore love is the fulfilling of the Law." (Romans 13:9-10 RSV)




6 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a note that this is his yellow belt picture - I have yet to download pictures from Friday's test - he is now an Orange belt. I'll update the pictures again soon!

StefRobrts said...

I LOVE the picture with his yellow belt!! :D What a smile! So glad this is working out for him.

annaliese said...

sounds like a wonderful activity for him--I know Ian would just love it, if I can find the time--ha! this said to YOU! :)

Unknown said...

Okay pics updated - notice the New Blue Uniform - this is part of the 'Black Belt Club" (for kids who have made the commitment to see their training through to black belt) Thaniel goes to TaeKwondo class 3-4 days a week.

Goofiernu said...

Nat, I am so PROUD of you!!! Thanks for showing me your form the other day. It was so cool to watch.

Angela said...

=) Dorin, hope you're feeling better. Tell Nathaniel I loved his pictures. Maybe we come enforce to see him sometime. What a sight that would be?!