Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fall crockpot Medley

Pretty good title huh?  :)

This past Sunday Eric and I went to the Farmer's market.  Only a few weeks left and I wanted to get all those great fruits and veggies in season right now- YUM.

I didn't have a plan for what I had on hand today but I knew I wanted to do something in the crock-pot so this is what I came up with.  It sure smells great - hope it ends up tasting just as good!

The ingredients:
Chicken (kinda cut out of the picture here) 1 large sweet potato, two Yukon gold potatoes, two yellow squash (farmer's market), walla walla onion (local), brown mushrooms (local), garlic (farmer's market) and celery.

The Seasonings:




Fresh basil and rosemary (from my yard), fresh dill and cilantro (from the farmer's market), 1 lemon, sea salt, black pepper, Mrs Dash no salt seasoning.

First I cut up the sweet and gold potatoes and put them in my Crock.  I read somewhere that the potatoes should go in first but I can't remember for the life of me why that is.  I did it anyway :)

Then I placed three chicken breasts on top of those (I was gonna use 4 but they seemed big to me - do what you like) And then seasoned them with some Mrs D, salt and pepper and sqeezed the juice of half the lemon on top.
I chopped up my onion, celery, mushrooms, squash and tossed them on top.  Then I added 6 (yep!) cloves of garlic slightly smushed.   I added a bit more seasoning, salt and pepper.  - sorry forgot to take a picture of this step :D

I chopped up the rosemary leaves, tore up some basil and then rough chopped a bunch of dill and cilantro on top of that.  I added the juice from the second half of the lemon over the whole thing.

I put this on high for the first hour, and then I will cook it on low for the next 6hrs or so. 

If you try something like this I'd love to hear how it turned out for you!




No comments: